Friday, August 3, 2012

A slightly different morning


I really love getting into work early – I try to as often as I can. In fact I am writing this at five thirty in the morning. I like to see the University coming to life. The grounds staff have already been at work for an hour or so when I get in at seven in the morning. It is good to get the emails cleared from the day before and reflect on the previous day.  It’s also a good time to take a look at the calendar and see what the day has to offer.

Then the emails start rolling in as people get to their desks. I am always amazed when I work on emails very late at night or VERY early in the morning maybe before five how many emails come back straight away with an answer – Rob Reed and Joanne Perry must hold the record for this. Soon after the emails start rolling in, the cars start passing my window and the car parks start filling up. Most of the many kangaroos on Campus disappear or laze under the trees as the sun starts to heat the place up. Another day begins.



At about a quarter to nine Heather Andrews (pictured) our Executive Assistance arrives. I always ask her “how was your evening/weekend”. She always without fail says “Lovely”. And she means it. I have never known anyone enjoy life more than Heather. She brightens up the day for everyone who meets her.

But today I am not getting in early. In fact I am hosting a breakfast meeting at the VC’s residence to wish Heather a happy retirement. Yesterday was the final day that Heather told me how lovely her evening had been.

Heather is one of the many unsung heroes we have at the University. Someone who makes it a better place. Someone who brightens up your day.

Heather has worked at the University for many years but I have only had the privilege of working with her for the past three years. She really made me feel so welcome to the University when I arrived. Much of what has been achieved over the past few years has been down to Heather. She has provided with me with wise council. She has listened to me twittering on about all the things I was going to do. For the most part she would make reassuring noises and smile. When the reassuring noises and the smile disappeared I always knew I was on the wrong track. I would then say – “I don’t really want to do that do that do I?” she would simply smile and shake her head. And, nine times out of ten I didn’t do it. Please don’t ask me about the one in ten times I did not heed her advice.

So today Heather parts company with CQUniversity. I know she is going to have a great retirement with Ian her partner. The whole of the University community wishes you all the very best and thanks you for a job well done.

No comments: